Tinsmith Shop and Masonic Lodge

Dates From: circa 1850
Original Location: Woodbridge, Ontario (north side of Woodbridge Avenue)

During the 1860’s many towns and villages had a resident tinsmith who crafted items for the home and farm. The Tinsmith Shop at Black Creek Pioneer Village used to be a hardware store on the main floor, while the second storey was the first home of the Masonic Lodge — named Blackwood Lodge for Thomas Blackwood, a respected local Freemason. It was used regularly during the 1870’s.

In 1983 the building was was dismantled and brought to Black Creek Pioneer Village for restoration, as a joint project between the Freemasons of Ontario and Toronto and Region Conservation. The restored building was opened to the public the following year.

Tinsmith shop at Black Creek Pioneer Village

Follow Black Creek