Dates From: circa 1849
Original Location: Scarborough, Ontario (Kingston Road and Midland Avenue)
This Georgian two-storey structure, built by Alexander Thompson in 1847-48, is typical of pre-Confederation taverns found in Southern Ontario. It originally offered as a resting place for stagecoach passengers making the trip between Dunbarton, Pickering and Toronto. Over the years, the Half Way House also served as a hotel, an apartment building and later a store.
In 1966, this frame-built Ontario classic, with its single-storey kitchen tail and shed extension, was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village. The building required extensive restoration and reconstruction. The kitchen was rebuilt based on structural evidence and archival documents. A modern restaurant facility was introduced to the basement.